Sunday, July 17, 2011

Suit Yourself!

After being an at home mom for 12 years, I had been presented a pink slip.  Thank you for your 12 years of service, shake hands, the door's right here, mind the step.   I could still be a mom, just without the "Stay at Home" part.   I decided instead of lying about the house in a steaming pile of "WHY ME?" I would do what had to be done.   Self pity gets nothing accomplished.  I had to get a job.


Resume'-ing our regularly scheduled program...


How does one chronicle 12 years of parenting using bullets and power phrases?


EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE--"Share with your sister, or you're going to your room."
TIME AND TASK MANAGEMENT SKILLS--"Is your homework done? It's due tomorrow."
SPREADSHEET EXPERIENCE-- I can't count how many beds I've made.
DEADLINE ORIENTED-- "Kids! The bus is here, RUN!"


I submitted my resume' to a couple different places, and miraculously got a job interview!  


Does this suit make my wallet look fat?


Now that I had the prospect on the horizon, whatever shall I wear?  All I had in my clothing repertoire was t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops.  The last suit I'd worn was circa 1981 and it had fuzzy feet and duckies on it.   It was time to go shopping, which you will learn, is one of my least favorite pastimes.  


I went to the mall (shudder) with a friend of mine and we tore through there looking for a suit. After trying on about ten different suits, I finally found one that fit, and we were out the door.  


I had survived the mall and now I could at least LOOK like I knew what I was doing.


Interview with Destiny


I went in there with my postage stamp resume, my shiny new suit, a firm handshake, and a smile.  "Fernando" (names are changed to protect the innocent.) asked the questions, and I answered them with confidence.  Even if you give the wrong answer, if you do it confidently, it says something about your character.  You're not afraid to stand for something.  There's a lot to be said for that.  I had no idea if I was saying the right things, but I pretended like I knew what I was talking about.  Fake it til you make it. 


I got the job.  


I bet with enough confidence, I probably could've gotten the job in my ducky suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment