Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Making friends 101-Uterine accomplishments

  I have had to move seven times during my parenting years. Each time, I have to start over. People panic about making new friends.  They don't want to put themselves out there. They're afraid they won't be accepted.  Look at it this way, if we all feel that way, then it shouldn't be so hard to connect with people.  Just check out how easy this really is.

Find something in common and roll with it.  With fellow mothers it's especially easy.

SCENE-- A Playground.  
Mothers are sitting on benches. Children are playing.

You send your kids off to the swings, and plop yourself exhaustedly next to a mother sitting watching her kids. 

"Hi, I'm Olga."

"Suzy."

"Suzy, is it?  Nice blouse.  Those two yours? Yeah?  Cute. " 

"GIRLS! Quit spinning your brother so fast, do you have ANY IDEA how difficult USED lasagna stains are to remove?"

Look at Suzy, smile sheepishly. "Those three are mine. They're a handful." Pause for effect.  Check the mood....Now open with birth story.

"I'll tell you, I had the toughest time with my second one...." AND SHE'S HOOKED...

Suzy starts sharing every grueling detail about her horrific birthing experiences, and all the other abdominal crises she's survived. You nod, smile, and "Oh my" at just the right spots, and now you can add her to your Christmas list.   You're her new best friend.  End with
 "Would you and the kids like to come over for a playdate sometime?"
 Exchange numbers..."KIDS, GET IN THE CAR."...hug good bye....end scene.

Simple as that.  Everyone you meet has something in common with you.  We all want to connect with others, so go out, and share a little of yourself.  You never know when you'll meet your new best friend!

2 comments:

  1. LOL...love! So true! And, honestly, that woman is probably DYING for you to start talking to her...... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea - I love it! I can't wait to talk about my birthing experien...er...wait... :-D

    ReplyDelete