Monday, July 11, 2011

Sects, drugs, and rock and roll!

It's not easy going through a divorce, especially with children.  You feel isolated, depressed, a failure as a person, as a parent.... and you need somewhere or something to help get you through it all....You know that on the other side is the bright light of freedom and independence...but you have to wade through the darkness to get to the light.  It's a very real part of it all.  Were it not for the darkness the light wouldn't be as bright and wonderful!


So, rather than throw myself into a Lindt induced diabetic coma, I have decided to visit three coping options.


Sects


I grew up in a fairly unconventional family.  The only time we went to church was when someone died, got married, or when our parents just needed a break.  They would send us off to Sunday School, and eventually we'd find our way back home.  They taught many (though not all) of the biblical basics without actually preaching, but unfortunately we weren't brought up in any particular faith.  A mistake on their part, I feel.  I find it difficult to believe in something I was never taught.


I'm a very spiritual person, and have a feeling I'll be revisiting this one, but for now, I think I'll move on to the next option....


Drugs


Disclaimer: Chocolate is not in this category, nor is coffee....for without them, I would truly become one with the rubberized room.


Nowadays everyone seems to be on something, some sort of antidepressant to help them deal with daily life.  Apparently, it's not ok to be sad anymore.  It's not only ok, it's necessary.  I was told by a therapist once that there are actual stress relieving hormones in tears.  I can see it now..


"Feeling down?  Depressed?  Well, all you need is a good cry......each month we'll send you movies such as "Steel Magnolias" "Old Yeller" and a real favorite with the ladies "Titanic"....you'll cry away your depression in no time.  Act now and we'll include these triple ply super absorbent tissues."


I was also one of these people.  Tried Zoloft for a while.  Although it seemed to help initially, after a while I felt like I was floating in a cloud of indifference. Sure, the things that were depressing me didn't matter, but neither did anything else.  So, I quit.  Option three....


Rock and Roll


My life has always had a soundtrack.  And no matter what it was, I was dancing to it.  Don't ever worry about what people think of you, the saying really is true.  Dance like no one's watching.  Nothing feels better than dancing your heart out.  Slow, fast, hula, the robot, or the cha cha slide....it's good for your soul.  I have never walked off the dance floor, and thought "Golly, I wish I could find an oven to stick my head in."  I always feel exhilarated, and free.......so I'm gonna crank up the tunes, and give it my all.  And I HOPE people are watching, cause happiness is contagious.....

5 comments:

  1. I think you are my clone! I feel all of Tuesday same things! You'll get through it better than ever for having the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! If I'm your clone, you must be FANTASTIC! Thank you for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and who needs a man when you can set a mousetrap, use a power washer, and work a drill. I have been empowered, LOL. I wish I would have written a journal of my experiences.

    You are a great writer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olga, I'm pretty sure you are one of THE FUNNIEST people I know. And your desire to live life so freely is really inspiring. I HAVE to take a lot of medicines to control my depression, but I can say, you are the biggest pill of them all, and one that is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LanieK! It means a tremendous amount to me, more than you know, that my blog helps to brighten your day! That's exactly what I am hoping to do with this! I hope to continue to inspire people to look to the light!

    <3

    ReplyDelete