Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Got an issue? Here's a tissue!

You all know I got the job.  But I hit a couple bumps along the way.

FIRST INTERVIEW IN FIFTEEN YEARS!

I walk into the office in my fabulous power suit, my business hair, my new high heels, and ugh....pantyhose.  I introduced myself to "Vera", the receptionist. She asked me to take a seat and that Fernando would be here shortly to interview me.

I sat.  And sat. AND SAT.  I was about to explode with nervous energy, and my nylons were starting to itch.

I looked at the clock. Fernando was late, and just as I'd made this realization, "Penelope" showed up at the desk and informed me his plane was slightly delayed, would I like a cup of coffee while I waited?

"Yes, please." said I, for coffee makes everything better, even irritating undergarments.

She brought me my coffee, I thanked her, and she disappeared into the back recesses of the office.  Vera and I chatted a bit about family, life, and the weather.  Then I took a big swig of my coffee, and with the elegance of an epileptic rhinoceros, managed to spill it all the way down the front of my power suit.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" I laughed nervously, "Vera, look what I've done!" and I grabbed a handful of tissues from the nearby box, and frantically started wiping away the coffee.

WHITE FLUFFY TISSUES!  BLACK SUIT!  I looked like I'd lost a snowball fight, and it just hadn't melted yet.

"VERA!" I said now legitimately worried,"What am I gonna do?"

She handed me a lint roller and I then proceeded to roll the lint of my thigh, roll the lint of my hip, and last but not least I was trying to remove the white fuzz from the top of my suit jacket.  While I'm desperately attempting to clean the snow off the mountain top, I look up.  A man in a shirt and tie is standing behind the desk.  I froze, smiled insanely, and dropped my arm to my side abruptly.  "uh, HELLO."

"The good news is," he says "I'm not Fernando."  No, he was Cornelius P. Franklin, president of the company. Good Lord.  I ran over quickly and introduced myself to Mr. Franklin.  He told me Fernando would be there in just a few minutes.  I thanked him, and sat down again.  Vera almost couldn't breathe she was laughing so hard at me now.  Well, that's one way to get out the nervous energy, I thought as I joined in.  Just as I was wiping a tear off my cheek from laughing, I heard "Olga? I'm Fernando, follow me please."

Oh brother, I thought.  Here it goes.  Then I just chuckled, and briefly told Fernando what had happened. He smiled.  The interview had already gotten off to a positive start. He was smiling.

____________

We're all human, and we all make mistakes, even silly ones.  People take themselves far too seriously.  We can't change the past, so why not laugh at it! We must find humor in ourselves. It's the best place to start.  Just think, the more mistakes you make, the funnier you'll be!

3 comments:

  1. I just love this. I love how you took the catastrophe of events and turned them around. I am envious, I could not have done it.

    Just so you know, I am kinda anonomous on here, however, I am that quiet shy girl you met in the Walmart getting a pedicure. You gave me your pampered chef card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing... I suspect many people struggle with making mistakes and laughing at themselves. I, for one, have realized the true meaning of what a perfectionist is. I have struggled with perfectionism my whole life. If I do something wrong, I'm mortified, so I 'carefully' spend moments planning and worrying, only to jack it up in the end anyway. Great advice for those of us who should learn to roll with things and shrug the shoulders when we roll down a hill straight into a murky pond...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just jacked off to this picture

    ReplyDelete