Saturday, November 9, 2013

ON THE GO WITH BOINGO - Flawed Perfection

Jellyfish Bar Perdido Key, FL

This young lady was competing in the Bikini Contest they had at the Jellyfish Martini Festival today.
I know what you're thinking.  Skinny waif in a bikini.  Look how thin she is, bet she doesn't eat, she probably doesn't even have any organs.  And funny enough, you'd be closer than you thought.   I was chosen to be one of the judges for the event, and thought I'd talk to the girls before I judged them on the superficial.  Her story was my favorite.  24 years old and going to school to study sonography-an admirable profession. Very sweet disposition. Full of hope and life and none of the jaded disdain we older broads acquire through our experiences.  If you look closely at the photo, you'll see a scar right down the middle of her stomach.  I asked her what had happened.  She told me she'd been in a horrible car accident when she was 16 years old.  She'd broken three ribs, and damaged a number of her internal organs.  She had to be life flighted out of the accident to the trauma center.  "I died once, and they had to bring me back." she told me.  Clearly, that experience hadn't hindered her joie de vivre!  This girl has this enormous scar practically dividing the two halves of her body, and what does she do?  BIKINI CONTESTS!  So next time you see a skinny girl in a teeny little bathing suit, and your first instinct is to try and drown her, or shove a cheeseburger down her throat, stop for a sec, and just talk to her. She may give you the straight skinny on embracing your awesomeness in spite of your flaws!

3 comments:

  1. Wow I just found this....this is ME!!! THANK YOU for your kind words it means a lot to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shawna! Hope you’re well! I am just back flipping through my old blog. You are an inspiration to many. Keep it up. Your outside beauty is a mere flicker when compared to the beauty you carry within.

    ReplyDelete