Saturday, November 9, 2013

ON THE GO WITH BOINGO----Loves Gas Station Exit 44 Biloxi MISSISSIPPI.



Standing in line at Subway getting ready to order my sandwich, I saw a black man about my age slowly walk up and get in line. He was carrying a backpack ,had a down look on his face, and was staring off into space. I looked at him and said 

"C'mon man! Smile. Life is good." 

His face lit up, and he said in a VERY strong foreign accent "Oh. EET EES GOOD. I am jest very TIe-AHD." 

"You have an accent! Where are you from?" I asked.

"I'm from Africa. I drive a truck here."

"Africa? Vous parlez francais?"

"A LEETEL BEET." he smiled.

"Where in Africa?"

"South Africa."

"Afrikaans then?"

'n bietjie" (a little bit in Afrikaans)

"What is your mother language?"

"(CLICK) Khoisan!" The FREAKIN' CLICKY LANGUAGE from AFRICA! So I spent the next five minutes trying to click, while he stood there just laughing at me.

"What's your name?" 

"Steve"

I reached out my hand to shake his. "Steve, I'm Olga, it was a pleasure to meet you!" 

"And also you, Olga."

He paid for his sandwich, and headed off out the door with a wave goodbye and a new spring in his step. I grabbed my sandwich and pulled out my card to pay. The girl at the counter said "He already got yours." I smiled, pleasantly surprised, and looked out the window to see if I could see him. He was just pulling out of the parking lot, in a COCA-COLA truck! 

The Gods MUST be Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment